Monday, September 23, 2013

September is almost over, and maybe cooling down under 100!

So, the last couple weeks have sure been busy!  As part of our temporary homeschooling we worked on country studies, a passion of mine and I thought it would be fun to introduce the girls to some other countries.  I planned to do once a week but we're actually going to aim for twice a month!  :-)

The first country we have studied was China.  I let the girls watch a cool documentary about China, and they were so cute.  The got up and dance like the cranes and were fascinated with all of it.  It was really cute!  

We made paper lanterns for our China night!  They were fun and easy to do!

We looked and replicated the Chinese flag, Lizzie was very OCD about hers and got really upset that Sara's was NOT right.


But Sara didn't care.  She liked her own better!  :-)


As much as I wish I could say I got to look at this cheerful adorable face all day, I would be lying!  haha!  Kate has been so finicky.  Her "thing" this week is that she won't eat unless I am laying down to nurse her.  Seriously.  I went thrifting with a friend and she wouldn't eat the whole 4 hours.  And she was very unhappy about it.  So we are pretty homebound right now.  It's frustrating but hopefully just a phase right now.  She is super fun and adorable when she is in a good mood, she is just definitely a handful!


(a cute picture of Sara at our China party- homemade wontons and rice.  They loved it!)

An exciting piece of furniture was brought into our home last week.  We had bought a little round table really cheap and had been using that.  If you know me, you know I am always trying to "simplify" our life, and keep clutter and "stuff" out of our home.  One of the ways I thought I was simplifying was by keeping our dining room less crowded by using a small table.

Well, I was wrong.

We found this huge table for $15 at a yard sale.  And I love love love love it.  It's imperfect and a bit beat up, but in a good and charming way.  I (gasp) don't even plan on painting it any time in the near future, because I love it's character.

For the first time in our marriage we can have the serving bowls on the table.  Our first family dinner around this table was a little piece of heaven.  It just felt so great to fit at the table.  Manners were better, and attitudes were better.  It was wonderful.




Sara had her blood drawn 2 weeks ago and had a whole bunch of things tested.  I know I've mentioned before I've been really worried about her health.  The Dr. called me with her lab results and said her numbers on everything were really really good except for her vitamin D.  It was 11 and should be at least 32.  It explains why when she gets sick she gets really really sick, and why she is so awfully tired all the time.  It will take a while for the new supplement to build up in her system, but she is taking an adult dose of vitamin D every day now, and I can really tell a difference already.  She still gets exhausted, but not as often and overall she is getting back to normal.  I started taking vitamin D also and can really tell a difference in my energy levels as well, I am sure I needed it too after 8 months with practically zero sun while no bedrest!


I have had to throw out the rule book that worked for the girls when they were babies.  If it worked for them it probably doesn't work for Kate.  She is SO different.  I love her differences, just taking some figuring out!  For instance, she LOVES her tummy.  Lizzie and Sara hated their tummies and would scream so loud, and they both learned to crawl from a sitting position and didn't crawl for long.  Kate on the other hand rolls over almost automatically when she is put on her back.


She also stopped using the binkie last month.  The other two were obsessed with their binkies forever.  I wouldn't mind except Kate really struggles being soothed, by me OR herself, so I really wish she would take it!


She adores her sisters though.  While yes it drives me crazy how rough they can get with her, I love how much they love each other.  Kate is almost always smiley around them, even when it seemed like they must be driving her as bonkers as they would drive me!  :-)


As for the big HOMESCHOOL issue, let's just say it is going fine for now.  No problems with it at all, it's just hard to do all the fun stuff because Kate is so high maintenance that it seems our available time is taken up by the work part. 


 We actually found out that the afternoon class we had Lizzie on the waiting list for has an opening, just not sure when yet.  It will either be next week or after fall break, so mid October.  There are 4 or 5 kids from our ward in that class, and it's in the afternoon, AND they got rid of the cricket infestation at her school, so we are hoping she does better this time around.  Lizzie really needed these few weeks of homeschool so she could really open up and tell me what was bothering her about school.  There was a lot that she needed to talk about.

As much as I want to give her the social activities she needs while homeschooling her, right now it is not possible for me with how much work Kate is.  There just isn't time.  Plus, I just really can't get past how much we like Derek's school that she was/will be attending- except for the art issue.  I plan to counter the "limited creativity" by having a really fun art activity at least twice a week during the morning.

Another reason we are putting her back in is because Sara will for sure be going to school next year, she has a personality that will thrive at school, she doesn't have the anxiety Lizzie does.


Derek has been doing a lot of tutoring at his school, some part of his job and some for a minor extra pay.  One day when he got home he was talking about it and the girls go, "Daddy is TUTORING?"  And they started making tooting noises and saying he was just somewhere in a tooting class.  They got the giggles and it was contagious and I must say even I had a hard time getting control again.  It was hilarious!!!


This handsome guy is doing so wonderful at his job.  He is gone a lot and we are so busy that I miss him a lot.  And it's only going to get busier because mid-October he is starting to coach the girls basketball team at his school.  4 days a week.  He is a little nervous because he only played basketball one year growing up, but I think he will do great.  It's not good pay at all but it is something, and we are hoping to hold onto all our profit from the house to use for his masters degree he is hoping to start next year.  


I also think it was his years in Mexico on his mission but Derek is thriving in the climate here.  He looks great, is getting in shape and getting a good looking tan!  I also gave him a really good haircut this week if I do say so myself!  

I am the opposite, my body has really struggled with the climate here, rashes and itchy all the time and fuzzy fuzzy hair and just an overall feeling of grossness from being too hot all the time.  The big spider crawling on my leg the other night while working on the computer didn't help either.  Oh my heck that was horrible.  Agh.


We are doing really well here still.  I still feel strongly this is where we are meant to be, it has just been more of an adjustment than I was expecting.  The move happened so fast that it seems to just now be sinking in that we are here for good.  I miss the green of Idaho and my yard and my house.  Even more I miss all my family and I wish i could be there with them, especially with all the trials they are going through right now.  I feel so helpless and out of the loop here and hope they know I pray constantly for everyone to deal with all they have on their plates right now.


 Oh, and I almost forgot....

Kate is learning to LOVE her excersaucer, she can twist around and around in it, she really likes to be standing, and she doesn't like to sit, so this is perfect.  She is funny to watch in it because she is still really bad at grabbing things right, so she just sort of swats at the toys.  So cute!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear about your family. You guys are such thoughtful and good parents. Arizona must agree with you guys because you look and sound like you're doing great, especially you, Derek. What a handsome devil! I love the big table. We felt the same way when we got our big table. I wouldn't go back. Keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!